Sunday 3 August 2008

S-M-I-T-T-E-N-S, C'MON!



After two weeks touring the uk, the smittens are heading back to Vermont, and leaving us with that “I want more” feeling you get after a great show.

Luckily, they also left a bunch of copies of their brand new album – The coolest thing about love, out now on HHBTM. It had been in the making for a long time, but it was well worth the wait! The band’s third album, and possibly the best so far, features 14 songs of incredibly catchy, sugar sweet bubblegum indiepop.

The innocence and simplicity of the lyrics, quite often about being love, out of love and the things they enjoy, fear or worry about in life, combined with those alternating (and sometimes overlapping) vocals I love so much and their choice of instrumentation totally made it for me.

A few weeks ago I posted about the their cover version of “my boyfriend’s back” that came out on the 7” split with tullycraft and what excited me the most about the cover was that it still sounded somewhat like a 60’s girl pop song, but with modern elements that only made it better. Listening to the new album, I realized that a lot of the smittens own songs are like that – they’re filled with 60s influences and yet sound new and refreshing.

One of my favourite songs in it is the cute bittersweet tale of a lost summer love “half my heart beats”, which you can listen here.

Order the Coolest thing about love on HHBM.
Visit The smittens website, or stream their music onmyspace.
Watch the video for gumdrops.

No comments: